creative block?

I must say, I haven't had much to write about lately. I seem to be up against a creative block. I have heard different rememdies for creative block, some better than others.

- Some say: wait it out. Creative block is part of the creative process. Its like sleep. It gives your brain time to recuperate and subconsciosly develop creative ideas. While this sounds good, I have found no evidence to support it and it kind of seems like an excuse for not trying.

- Others say: make art even if you're not feeling creative. Sometimes just doodling or messing around can trigger a great idea. I agree somewhat with this. I have had some creative breakthroughs by just messing around, although, probably not my best ideas.

- Still others say: Go out and look for inspiration! Go to museums, look through magazines, find things that inspire you to push boundaries and break down walls. I have found that this works... sometimes. It has probably been my most successful method in finding new ideas.

So the way I see it, there are 3 ways of finding creativity: passive, active, and aggressive. I think that they all have a time and place in the creative process, but in my experience the harder I push for it, the more I succeed. Being passive has never done great things for me. What about you? How do you find creativity?

3 comments:

  1. Accept the apathy, then make something anyway. Sometimes the best stuff comes from detachment. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this article!

    someone told me once take a 30 minute nap and then start again if you're totally stuck.. i've tried it and it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Hey, I'm Greg and am contacting you on behalf of the Indianapolis Bloggers. We noticed you haven't blogged in a while and hope you'll get back to that soon. In the meantime, please take a moment to check out the updated site and let us know if you want to continue to be a part of the group. Just let me know and I'll make sure you stay updated on everything that comes with being an Indianapolis Blogger. Thanks for your time and hope to hear back from you!"

    ReplyDelete