How to fully engage your audience

So, I had a twitter-friend call my art "unique, imaginitive, and fully-engaged", a true compliment. I really do try to put heart and soul into anything that I create. For me, art is a way to express things hidden deep within my soul, but I think that a lot of that can transfer onto the observant viewer. Not that I consider myself a master of anything, but I thought I would like to share some of my mental rhetoric that I go through when I'm creating a piece. I thought it might be helpful. If you guys have anything to change or add, let me know!

- The first thing I do, when beginning a creation (let's say a painting, theoretically) is to make sure that it involves imagery that goes deeper than just being pretty. Picture of things that can have multiple meanings leave people pondering and add depth and life to the painting. I like to use a lot of shadows and silhoettes because they are so suggestive. I think people automatically put themselves into the painting.

- sometimes "not pretty" can be very powerful. Life itself is not always pretty, and I think that art is all about expressing life's ups and downs. Sometimes I use decay or an old object. It adds mystery and a realness to the painting, that it wouldn't have otherwise.

- Color can evoke strong emotion- This one, you may know intuitively, but taking an effort to put together a evocative color scheme can make a world of difference. Take this painting for example. I wanted to evoke a feeling of nostalgia and warmth. I wanted people to view this painting and remember the youth and innocence of childhood.





- Don't follow trends- Everytime I see a profitable new trend, I'm tempted to jump on the wagon, but I remind myself that art is about being original a nd provacative, not making money. (Although, I admit, both would be nice...) If you are smart enough to recognize a trend, your audience will be too. Art lovers love originality and depth.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post. I just stumbled across you while browsing through soopsee--so glad I did! Your work is really intriguing, and I look forward to seeing more.

    I very much agree about the power of "not pretty"--particularly about the element of mystery. One of my favorite art teachers always encouraged me to "leave something to the imagination"...rather than allowing the viewer to immediately "get it" and walk away.

    Have a great day!

    -Amanda/PersistentGreen, fellow Etsian

    ReplyDelete